The Color Wheel.  

Posted by Megan Moulos in , , , , , ,

Ignaz Schiffermüller, 1775. (+)
The first color wheel has been attributed to someone you may not expect: Sir Issac Newton. While many of us know the old apple-on-the-head = gravity tale, we may not know the story of Newton busting out his paint set to create what is known as the first true color wheel.

Moses Harris, 1776.
Over the years scientists from every field (the example at the top was created by a man who studied butterflies; the one directly above, flies), artists, and countless theorists re-created the color wheel. The form was anything but consistent, but the circular formation we know and love today seems to have come out on top.

If you are an art student of any kind, you will likely at some point have to create a color wheel. If you are like me, you had to paint with goache, create a color wheel and, between crying and cursing the godforsaken planet you were born on, paint hundreds of swatches varying in the slightest, mind-numbing degree. But I digress.


Urban color wheel in Paris (+)


The theory is that if you spin the color wheel fast enough, the colors will blend and appear white. I just tried spinning one of my smaller color wheels, instead of this black magic I managed to throw it behind the table at top speed. I guess it's gone forever now. ROY G BIV FOREVER!
Color Wheel Umbrella from MoMA (+)

This entry was posted on Saturday, November 6, 2010 at 2:10 AM and is filed under , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 Holla'd back

I laughed so hard when I read:

"I just tried spinning one of my smaller color wheels, instead of this black magic I managed to throw it behind the table at top speed. I guess it's gone forever now."

I would have managed to do the same thing. Good luck with any current and possible future color wheels. They are a pain in the butt.

November 6, 2010 at 5:15 AM

Post a Comment