Christmas is all around me...  

Posted by Megan Moulos

As tacky and lame as it sounds, I spent my day knitting a scarf and watching one of my all-time favorite movies, Love Actually.



Perhaps you should see this film before you go passing judgment on my questionable taste in cinema. It's funny, almost sickeningly touching, and BRITISH! The film somehow weaves together about 10 love stories, not all of them requited. My personal favorite is the recently cheated-on English author/pretty Portuguese maid shindig.



Jaime (the Brit) seeks refuge in France after discovering his girlfriend is cheating on him with his own brother. His maid, Aurelia, takes care of him, and they fall in love during the course of his stay. They speak to each other in their own alien tongues. In spite of this, they are often saying the exact same thing:


Jaime:: It's my favorite time of day, driving you.
Aurelia:: [in Portuguese] It's the saddest part of my day, leaving you.

J:: Erm. Would you like the last, uh...?
A:: [in Portuguese] Thank you very much but no.
J:: No?
A:: [in Portuguese] If you saw my sister, you'd understand why.
J:: That's all right, more for me.
A:: [in Portuguese] Just don't go eating it all yourself, you're getting chubbier every day.
J:: I'm very lucky I've got one of those constitutions where I never put on weight.

Blah blah blah, he learns Portuguese, and returns to find Aurelia. Jaime shows up at her house, asks her father for her hand in marriage, and...well...this is by far the funniest scene in the movie. "Apparently he is going to kill Aurelia!"

I cry every time. Wuss.



I also almost cry every time when Mark gets shafted by Kiera Knightly for the ugly bug-eyed black guy. So romantic. Barf.

Emma Thompson is probably the best actress ever for the scene where she cries listening to the CD her philandering husband just gave her for Christmas. Also gets me.

The little weird kid's mom dying. Double barf cry time.

Keira Knightly is still a bitch.

This entry was posted on Friday, December 21, 2007 at 12:42 AM . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 Holla'd back

Post a Comment