Right of passage? Nah, but it looks sweet.  

Posted by Megan Moulos in , , ,

I've been pondering a new tattoo for about 6 months now. I want to cover my right lower leg. I'm quite attracted to the idea of a triumphant heroine, preferably crushing oppression/oppressors. It's kind of the "per aspera ad astra" idea. I'm graduating in December with a BA in History and a second BA in Art History. I am graduating summa cum laude in both fields. I am a member of Phi Alpha Theta Honor Society and the Golden Key International Honours Society. It may not sound like much, but for a first generation college student who missed 200+ days of high school and became a nihilist at a young age, it is so much.

The tattoo would represent my triumph over my past: Childhood and teenage sickness and depression, anxiety, abuse, and fear; the lack of support from high school teachers and family; going into college with no guidance, totally blind; every single person who called me a failure, who said I would be a "lazy fucking pig" (direct quote) for the rest of my life. It is also a triumph over the oppressive religion I was raised with and lived under in fear for so many years. It is breaking free of all the institutions that held happiness and freedom at arm's length.

To all this shit I reply I DID IT.
And I'm not stopping now, mofos.


Eugène Delacroix
Liberty Leading the People (28 July 1830)
1830
Oil on canvas
Louvre, Paris, France.



Winged Victory (Nike of Samothrace)
Attributed to Pythokritos
Marble, 8' h,
c. 200-190 B.C.
Louvre, Paris

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 7, 2007 at 11:58 AM and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 Holla'd back

Post a Comment